The Department and its various entities deliver the following services:
Agribusiness and Investment Support Services Division
· Private sector investment facilitation
· Strengthening Institutional Framework
· Staple Crop Processing Zones (SCPZ) Business and Investment Support Services
· Cassava Bread Social Marketing Campaign
· Financing of Small Medium Enterprise (SMEs) Agribusinesses
· Value Chain Business Development and Investment Advisory Support Services
Agro Processing and Post-Harvest Management Division
· Establishment of 10 Nos Large Scale Rice Processing Plants and 6 Nos High Quality Cassava Flour Plants
· Establishment of 7 Nos Composite Flour Compact Milling System (CMS) Milling Factory
· Rice Post-Harvest Processing and Marketing Pilot Project (RIPMAPP) in Nasarawa and Niger States
· Implementation of the Korea Africa Food and Agriculture Cooperation Initiative (KAFACI) Project
· Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) Project
· Establishment of 8 No Agro Processing Centres alongside the existing Strategic Grains Reserve Silo complexes
· Establishment of 9 No Farmers’ Market across the States of the Federation and FCT.
· Establishment of Agro – Industrial Estate across the States of the Federation
· Establishment of 80nos. One stop shop agro-input centres
· Constituency Project 2014 Implementation
· Staple Crop Processing Zones Support Services??
TO BE CONDENSED—CHEC!
· Agro-Processing and Post-Harvest Management Division
· Development of Cottage size processing industries
· Development of value Added products
· Facilitate the private sector partnership (PPP) in the establishment medium/large scale agricultural product processing plants.
· To facilitate existing processors/millers in building an efficient management system to reduce environmental pollution.
· Development and management of Agro-Processing centres in Partnership with private sector.
· Encourage private sector investment in food storage, processing and marketing
· To stimulate investment in efficient and modern food transportation to ensure that food is supplied in desirable quantities and acceptable quality.
· To work with policy team and ensure the provision of appropriate policy to support the conduct of post-harvest business in the most transparent manner
· To enhance methods of food preservation through adoption of best practice at the collection, trading and transportation levels
· Facilitation of the development of food crops processing centres (arable, horticultural, roots, tubers and tree crops)
· Establishment of linkages between small and medium scale Agro-Processing enterprises with cluster farmers.
· Facilitation of the development of livestock, fish and marine product processing
· Facilitation of the development of non-food industrial crops processing (rubber, cotton, kenaf and gum Arabic)
· Encourage small and medium agro enterprise development
· Ensure sound macro-economic policy for SMEs
· Develop a legal and regulatory framework that fosters competition, business integrity and fair practices
· Facilitate access to financial services, risk sharing institutions and business development services
· Organize capacity building courses, workshops and seminars for SMEs (upcoming and existing)
· Develop instruments to address the bottlenecks to small and medium agro enterprise development includes matching grants, challenge funds in public-private partnerships, preferential.
· Investment and Market Development Division:
· Facilitate the Development of investments in bulking centres and other market infrastructure for easy access for processors and other Stakeholders
· Build capacities of modern market operations for various stakeholders
· Establish a market information system both for domestic product services and exports
· Facilitate the determination of grades and grading for agricultural products
· Establish trading regulations
· Establish market surveillance in maintaining fair and workable competition
· Mobilize and facilitate investors in the various value chains to promote industrialization of agricultural sector
· Facilitate the introduction of modern packaging system for domestic processed agricultural products
· Facilitate a new branding system for Nigerian processed agricultural products through capacity building
· Develop a marketing plan to increase interests in investments in the agricultural value chain
· Support various markets in the areas of Research and Development (R&D), information dissemination and capacity building and coordination.
· Establish a market information news by publishing regularly market prices for both primary and processed products
· Ensure the establishment and use of standard containers and packaging for agricultural products
· Agribusiness Development Division:
· Attracting private sector agribusinesses to set up processing plants in zones of high food production, to process commodities into food products, support both the increased production of crops livestock and fisheries and the increased processing of these into finished products,
· Develop communication and business plan to help grow interest and engagement in agribusinesses,
· Facilitate the private sector to lead the growth in production and processing of local produce and be responsible for facilitating financing of some capital investments,
· Communicate to and engage with all relevant stakeholders to ensure alignment efforts, raise awareness of the program to attract private investors, manage performance measurement process
· Mobilize and promote various value chains, engage investors, endorse MoUs with relevant stakeholders (Private Sector, State Governments, Communities, Farmers, Aggregators, Processors, Research and Development Institutes, NGOs, wholesalers, etc),
· Ensuring the successful establishment and business growth of new and existing agribusiness in Nigeria.
· Coordinate, facilitate and promote public food programme
· Coordinate, facilitate access to markets for Arable fibre, and tree crops; livestock and aquatic and marine products.
· Staple Crop Processing Zone Management Support Services Division:
· SCPZ is to attract private investments into areas of high production of staple foods in Nigeria including crops, livestock and fisheries
· The development of a National SCPZ Plan, which shall be reviewed every 2 years,
· Provision of the policy and legal framework for the SCPZs with a view to ensuring stability and sustainability.
· Facilitating the provision of funding to support the development and sustenance of SCPZs
· Establishment of model SCPZs
· Engaging all the critical stakeholders and securing their support, cooperation and participation in the implementation of this policy
· Establishing, through Development Partnership Projects like the CADP, Fadama and other donor Projects, a sustainable system of support to production activities in the ABIRs; including:
· Organizing farmers into cooperatives to ensure effective linkages with processors, and encourage the establishment of farmer companies,
· Extension of the GES programme to all qualified farmers,
· Facilitating production and harvest mechanization support,
· Facilitating access to surface or underground irrigation water, as necessary,
· Ensuring access to quality inputs and production technology
· Facilitating access to affordable financing
· Organizing product aggregation,
· Arranging commercial farmer support
· Supporting capacity building, training and technology transfer by leveraging multilateral and bilateral partnerships to support farmers and farmer organisations
· Facilitating desirable incentives and ensuring that the incentives are enjoyed by qualified investors
· Engaging FMA&RD’s development partnership projects like the CADP, Fadama III and RAMP to enhance production infrastructure within the ABIR.
· Encourage and support Agricultural Technology organisations and Agricultural Research institutions to operate within ABIRs
· Working in partnership with State Governments to develop AITs in the ABIRs.
· Facilitating the upgrade of infrastructure networks around the SCPZs to enhance connectivity of SCPZs and ABIRs to major external infrastructure like roads, power, water, gas and communications
· Stimulating the formation of public private partnerships necessary in the development and operation of the SCPZs
· Promoting the health of the ABIRs to ensure mutually-beneficial interface with the SCPZs
· In partnerships with State and Local Governments, continuing sensitization campaigns of host communities on their expected roles as well negotiating, on their behalf, corporate social responsibility projects
· Promoting the protection of locally processed food products, including facilitating the active engagement of all statutory Standards maintenance bodies with the SCPZs, including Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) and the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration Control (NAFDAC).
· Identification and evaluation of Major Production Clusters for consideration as SCPZ
· The issuance of criteria for the designation of SCPZs
· Preparation of Master Plans and Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) for SCPZs
· The development or adaptation of investment promotion strategies for the SCPZs
· Centres of Excellence
· Quality Control Division:
· Facilitate the enforcement and regulations on Quality Standard
· Operation and Management of quality control laboratory
· Capacity building of stakeholders on quality assurances and control processes
· Liaison with regulatory agencies to ensure compliance with stipulated standards
· Carry out quality analysis of food and non-food industrial products
· Procurement and Installation of laboratory equipment
· Management and maintenance of laboratory equipment
· Agricultural Produce Handling, Preservation and Conditioning Division:
· Planning and Development of export conditioning complexes
· Development and infrastructure management guidelines
· Facilitation of infrastructure development and equipment supply
· Quality inspection and certification
· Handling and logistics for downstream activities (promotion of production of packaging materials, certification, documentation, dispatch etc).